Choosing the Right Child Care Center
Selecting the right child care center is a very important decision for every parent. Naturally you’ll want to do an on‑site visit. There’s a lot to consider. Here are a few suggestions to help you through the process.
- Is the center licensed Type I, Type II, or Type III? Is the license prominently posted?
- Is the center Star Rated so that you would qualify for the School Readiness Tax Credit?
- Do the teachers have their Ancillary Teaching Certificates?
- How long have the teachers been working at the center?
- Are the teachers at child level?
- Do you observe a lot of one‑on‑one interactions?
- Are the children happy?
- Is there a curriculum used in the classroom? Which one?
- Is the curriculum age appropriate for early childhood?
- What is the discipline policy?
- Is there a parent handbook?
- Is the center clean?
- Are you able to drop by unannounced?
- Does the center provide additional perks, such as swimming, specials, observation windows